Enjoy an easier transition to the UK with these tips on what to do before you leave your home country and what to do soon after you arrive.

Add to my collection

Preparing for your UK relocation

The more groundwork you do before your UK relocation, the easier the entire moving process will be.

Research your housing options

There is a lot of competition for accommodation in London and the rest of the UK, both for renting and buying. We recommend that you visit the websites of real estate agencies to get a clear picture of the type and price of accommodation. 

If you have decided on an area where you would like to live, you should get in touch with local real estate agents and start your housing search as early as possible.

And if you are looking to buy property, we offer a variety of mortgage products for foreign nationals seeking a UK mortgage.

Plan for UK relocation expenses

If you are relocating to the UK as a requirement for your job, then your employer may pay for your accommodation and moving expenses. But if you are migrating to the UK on your own, you’ll need to make arrangements to cover the costs of moving.

Examine your healthcare needs

You should also make plans to provide yourself and your family with adequate healthcare. The UK's National Health Service is the country's main provider and is free for permanent residents. However, you should check your entitlement to free NHS treatment and consider private healthcare if need be.

Read about NHS entitlements for immigrants and visitors from the Citizens Advice Bureau

Check driving licence requirements

You should also check whether your driving licence would permit you to drive in the UK. In most cases you will have to take the UK driving test after 12 months.

Find out the licence requirements from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

Clarify your tax status

Your residence and tax status are important in determining how much and what type of taxes you will pay when relocating to the UK.

You or your tax advisers can contact Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (HMRC) before you move. These are the UK tax authorities, and they are able to discuss your tax status with you. If you require further information or want to contact them before you move to the UK, use their website.

Set up an international bank account

If you’re planning a UK relocation, an international bank account from Barclays Wealth and Investment Management can help. These full-service UK or offshore accounts make it easy to manage your day-to-day banking in both your home country and the UK.

We can also help your transition to the UK run more smoothly. If you set up your account before you arrive in the UK, you can have access to your cash from day one. You will not have to worry about the usual requirements for setting up a UK bank account, such as providing the bank with a UK utility bill. To set up your account, all you need is:

  • one proof of identity (usually a passport), plus
  • one proof of address

Original documents are required. However, if you are applying online or by phone, you can provide certified copies instead. 

Find out more about our International Bank Account

After arriving in the UK

While you can handle much of the research and preparation from your home country, there are still some things you’ll need to handle after your arrival in the UK.

Apply for a national insurance number

If you’ve decided to use the UK’s National Health Service for your healthcare needs, you’ll first need to get a national insurance number. You can apply through the Department for Work and Pensions.

Once you have a number, you can register with a local doctor. In the UK these are called general practitioners (GPs). You might also want to register with a dentist. Most dental services in the UK are privately run so you should look into dental insurance to cover the expense.

Find out more about applying for a national insurance number from the HMRC website

Look after the health of your investments

If you haven’t already made your medium- and long-term wealth management plans, you can do so after you arrive in the UK. With a well-established history in the UK and wide global reach, Barclays Wealth and Investment Management can easily handle the complex investing, banking and wealth management needs of recent arrivals to the UK.

We offer a full range of investment products and strategies and can be as hands on or hands off with investment management as you need.

Investments can fall in value as well as rise. You may get back less than you invest.

However, please note that we only offer investments to clients on our Relationship Service. To qualify for our Relationship Service you must either deposit and maintain a balance of over £100,000 in cash or investments, or a combination of the two with us.

Or, if you have come to live in, or are moving to, the UK as a non-domiciled person, you will qualify for our Relationship Service if you have an annual individual gross salary of £150,000 or more, excluding bonus, (or currency equivalent) paid into your Barclays International bank account each month.

Moving to the UK?

Let us help with your finances, by calling

International Banking is available if you have £25,000 (or currency equivalent) to deposit and maintain across your accounts, or you’re opening an account to apply for an international mortgage with us. If you want to open an International Bank Account:

About International Banking 

Find out more about Barclays International Banking

Find out more about International Banking